India’s beauty is mysterious and inspiring so is the beauty of India’s women. It has been admired over the centuries. In this article we are going to give you some beauty tips that keep Indian women so beautiful, and if you know more sercets, please share in the comments below.
1. Amla, also known as Amalaki or Indian Gooseberry, is an amazing beauty ingredient. It is well-known as a hair conditioner but has also anti-dandruff properties, gives the hair a nutural shine. It enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens the roots of hair, maintains color, and improves luster. This fruit with a high vitamin C level nourishes hair from root to tip and reduces hair loss.
The extract of amla is rich in Vitamin A that prevents skin aging because it’s essential in collagene production which helps the skin to stay young and elastic. Drinking Gooseberry juice with honey is good for improving eyesight, and studies have shown it to improve nearsightedness and cataracts, while reducing intra-ocular tension.
Indian Gooseberry is known for its ability to rejuvenate the body or enable the body’s maximum potential, consistent with its classification according to Ayurveda as a “rasayana” herb in the Ayurvedic tradition.
Health Benefits of Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
– 100% Natural source of food-based Vitamin C
– Provides antioxidant protection
– Supports healthy digestion, reduces acidity (very high in fiber)
– Helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels (contains chromium)
– Heart health (strengthens the heart muscles, the chromium can reduce the chances of atherosclerosis, or plaque buildup in the vessels and arteries, the iron content promotes the creation of new red blood cells, increasing circulation and the oxygenation of organs and cells to maximize growth and regeneration of tissue, while keeping the blood vessels and arteries clean)
– Supports healthy immune response and protects against infection
– Supports liver detoxification and liver health
– Supports healthy vision (rich in Vitamin A)
– Great for hair growth
– Great for the urinary system (being slightly diuretic it helps flush out toxins through the urinary system without over-stimulating it)
– Relieves menstrual cramping
– Helps fight free radical damage and supports healthy aging
The fresh fruit of gooseberries contains more than 80% water, protein, minerals, carbohydrates and fiber. It is also used as a remedy for fever, liver disorder, indigestion, anemia, urinary problems, respiratory problems, cerebral, gastric and cardiovascular illness. Gooseberry lowers cholesterol levels, increases red blood cell production, and strengthens teeth and nails.
2. Besan or Gram Flour is popular among the top Indian actresses. Gram flour is nothing but a pulse flour obtained after grinding chick peas or channa dal. Since besan is alkalising in nature, it is usually mixed with milk, cream, yoghurt or lemon and used as soap. It makes your skin smoother, softer and tighter. Read more about beasn using tips here
3. Haldi (Turmeric) is one of India’s most widely used spices. Turmeric has anti-bacterial qualities that are great at combatting acne, hyperpigmentation, eczema and dark marks and it’s a great anti-oxidant.
Turmeric is effective in the treatment of acne due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties which fight pimples and breakouts to provide a youthful glow to your skin. Turmeric face mask not only helps to clear acne scars and inflammation but also reduces oil secretion by sebaceous glands.
Here are some easy beauty recipes with turmeric (source):
Facial Mask for Oily Skin:
Turmeric is beneficial for oily skin as it regulates the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands. Sandalwood acts as an astringent and orange juice being a source of vitamin C, helps to clear the blemishes. For oily skin, make a paste by mixing 1 ½ tablespoons of sandalwood powder and a pinch of ground turmeric with 3 tablespoons of orange juice and apply it on your face. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Facial Mask for Dry Skin:
If you have dry skin, you can make a face mask by combining 1 egg white, 2 drops of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and rose water and a pinch of turmeric. This can be applied to all dry areas such as face, neck, elbows and knees. Allow it to dry completely and then wash off with warm water.
Treatment of Wrinkles:
Turmeric in combination with other ingredients is effective in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. You can prepare a face pack by mixing turmeric powder and rice powder with raw milk and tomato juice and apply it on your face and neck for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. This will reduce wrinkles as well as brighten your skin. If you have dark circles, you can add a pinch of turmeric to 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and apply it around your eyes for 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. This is effective in eliminating wrinkles as well as dark circles.
Signs of Aging:
Being an excellent exfoliating agent, turmeric can help eliminate signs of aging. You can make a paste by mixing besan (gram flour) and turmeric powder in equal proportions with water. This paste can also be prepared in raw milk or even yoghurt. Apply it evenly on your body and allow it to dry. Rinse off with lukewarm water and scrub your face gently in circular motion.
Reduction of Skin Pigmentation and Skin Tanning:
To remove skin tanning and pigmentation, apply a mixture of turmeric powder and lemon or cucumber juice on the affected area for 20-30 minutes and wash off with plain water. This should be done regularly for beneficial results.
Treatment of Cracked Heels:
Turmeric is an excellent healing agent. If you have cracked heels, you can apply a mixture of 3 spoons of turmeric with a few drops of coconut or castor oil on your heels for 10 to 15 minutes before taking a bath. Doing this regularly will soften your heels.
4. Kesar (Saffron) has been a beauty ingredient of the royals for many centuries. Though it is now very expensive, it can be sparingly used in face packs. It has excellent purifying properties as well as is anti-bacterial in nature. For glowing skin make a pack using saffron and honey. Kesar also lightens the skin tone and gives fair glowing complexion.
For glowing skin
Take a spoonful of honey and add a few strands of kesar in it. Mix it and apply on the face.
For skin brightening
Soak a few strands of saffron (2-3) in 2 spoons of milk for 30 min to let the milk get its colour and other benefits. Add a teaspoon of sandalwood powder or chandan to this and apply the pack on your clean still wet face and neck. Keep it for 15-20 minutes before washing it off. Apply once a week for maximum results.
To get rid of acne
Make a paste of saffron and tulsi leaves (basil) by grinding the two (5-6 basil leaves with 10-12 strands of saffron). Its anti-bacterial properties will help reduce the infection. Apply it on the acne and blemish and wash off with cold water after 10 to 15 minutes. But you will need regular application for the acne to disappear.
To tone the skin
Use it after cleansing the skin. Mix saffron in rose water and let it give its colour to it. After that, apply it on your face.
Add a few strands of saffron to milk and let it soak for two hours. Rub this milk all over the face and neck and rinse off after about twenty minutes. Use continuously and watch your skin turn several shades lighter.
For a dull and dry skin
Make a mask with lemon and saffron. Just mix a few drops of lemon juice with a spoonful of saffron powder. It is also possible to add a few drops of milk if you have very dry skin. Apply the mixture on your face. Leave for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
For a glowing complexion
Massaging face with honey to which a few strands of saffron have been added is an excellent home remedy, which provides oxygen to the skin thus promoting blood circulation.
How to spot real saffron
Remember, the highest quality of saffron is deep red with orange tips. It does not have any white or yellow spots.
Another way to detect real saffron is to soak it in water. See how long it takes for the colour to change and the sweet aroma to spread. Real saffron will at least take 15 minutes for these to happen while fake, coloured ones will give out the colour immediately without much aroma.
5. Gulabjal (Rose Water) stimulates our sensations and relaxes the skin and the mind. Gujabal is also used as toner and removes dark circles. It is used in many face packs by Indian women to remove oil and dirt from face.
Against the harmful effects of sun
Crush 10 to 15 tulsi leaves and add it to 200 ml of rose water. Store it in a spray bottle and refrigerate. Spray it all over your body each time that you come in from the sun.
This water is great to be used each time that you come in from the sun.
As a cleanser
Mix one cup of rose water with two teaspoons of glycerine and 10 drops of rose essential oil.
or to use it as a natural makeup remover
Dampen the cotton pad with rose water and apply a little bit of liquid coconut oil on top of it.
As a skin toner
Regular use of rose water as a toner can help prevent wrinkles (slowing down aging process), tighten pores and add a wonderful glow to the skin.
To soften dry skin
When you apply rose water on your skin – you can notice soothing and softening effect of it straight away.
To prevent or reduce eye puffiness
Place a bottle of rose water into the fridge for half an hour and then apply some of it on a cotton pad and gently place it on your eyes.
6. Multani mitti, better known as the Fuller’s earth very popular for its healing property, it is very rich in magnesium chloride which helps to reduce acne and blemishes, it removes the dead cells from the skin making space for it to breathe. It can be used as a cleanser, toner but also multani mitti facial pack for beautiful skin. It is sweat resistant and can also be used to improve your hair condition.
Please note, all information on this website is for education purposes only. Consult a medical practitioner or beauty specialist for any health problems or advice.