Are swan plants poisonous?

I was thinking if I should plant swan plants or not? Are they very poisonous? Did you have any experience or have you heard any stories from your neighbors or friends? Thank you in advance!

Are swan plants poisonous?

Reviewer Asked on January 15, 2015 in Herbs.
Add Comment
  • 1 Answer(s)

    Hi Mark! Swan plants or Milkweed (Ascepias and Gomphocarpus species) are toxic, and swallowing even a small amount could be a problem. Ingestion of the plant material can affect the heart, breathing, central nervous system and the stomach. “These two shrubby plants (Gomphocarpus fruticosus and G. physocarpus) are so similar that they can be regarded as the same for all practical purposes. Like all members of the Asclepias family the tissues are full of poisonous white milky latex, so even the bladder-like fruits should not be eaten.” – You can read about some poisonous plants in New Zealand here

    Vice Professor Answered on January 16, 2015.
    Add Comment

    Your Answer

    By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.